Get a FREE
ENU Intro Pack*
Cystic Fibrosis Diet: How Can Protein Shakes Make a Difference?
There is currently no cure for cystic fibrosis. However, there are many treatments and therapies that can help to ease its side effects. For example, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation points to airway clearance, enzyme supplements, and inhaled medicines as potential treatments. The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation also states that personalized fitness plans can “help improve [the] energy, lung function, and overall health” of a patient. Part of physical fitness is getting a balanced, nutritious diet. Does that mean protein shakes could help patients with cystic fibrosis stay healthier?
What is Cystic Fibrosis?
Cystic fibrosis is a rare, hereditary, and potentially life-threatening medical condition that affects an estimated 30,000 people today in the United States. In patients with cystic fibrosis, mutations in certain genes interfere with normal cell function. This causes thick, sticky mucus to accumulate in various areas of the body, such as the lungs and pancreas, which makes it harder for organs to function properly. For example, buildups of mucus can obscure airways in the lungs, making it more difficult to breathe properly while trapping germs that can cause infections or other complications.
Cystic Fibrosis Nutrition Information
How Does Cystic Fibrosis Affect Nutrition?
Cystic fibrosis causes mucus to accumulate in the pancreas, a small organ located in the abdomen near the stomach and small intestine. The purpose of the pancreas, which is part of the digestive system, is to release fluids called “enzymes” that aid digestion by helping to break down food. This makes it easier for the body to extract energy from carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, resulting in more efficient digestion.
In patients who have cystic fibrosis, accumulations of mucus interfere with the enzymes that would normally be released by the pancreas. As a result, the body isn’t able to digest food as efficiently, which can inhibit growth and lead to malnutrition.
Cystic Fibrosis Nutritional Deficiencies and Their Effects
Malnutrition, which is a potential risk for cystic fibrosis patients, can lead to serious complications. Depending on its severity, effects of malnutrition can include:
- Difficulty focusing or concentrating
- Hair loss
- Increased difficulty recovering from injuries, illnesses, and surgical procedures
- Increased risk of developing infections
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle weakness
- Respiratory problems
Why Add Protein Shakes to a Cystic Fibrosis Diet?
Adding ENU protein shakes into your diet can make it easier to meet your nutritional needs. Of course, you should always talk to your physician before making changes to your diet or fitness plan. Your doctor can create a personalized care plan with you, taking your full medical history into consideration.
While you should discuss new diets with your physician first, there are many reasons why you might benefit from increasing your protein intake. Here are just a few benefits of high-protein foods and beverages:
- Protein can help your body repair and strengthen connective tissue, such as the tendons in your wrists and ankles.
- Protein can help you build up muscle tissue, maximizing the benefits of your workout. With a high-protein diet, it’s easier to increase muscle mass and recover between workouts.
- Protein can help to promote better bone health, decreasing the risk of skeletal injuries like broken bones (fractures).
- Protein can help to regulate blood pressure, potentially lowering the risk of a stroke or heart attack caused by high blood pressure (hypertension).
- Protein can even help to boost your mood by providing amino acids that work to regulate hormones. Crucially, amino acids also help your brain function normally, aiding with concentration, learning, and motor skills.
These are just a few potential benefits of a protein-rich diet. Talk to your doctor to learn more about how protein affects the body.
ENU Protein Shakes Can Help Provide Medical Nutrition for Cystic Fibrosis Patients
Finding a healthy diet for adults with cystic fibrosis can be challenging – but with ENU’s medical nutrition shakes, on-the-go fitness just got easier. Each carton packs in:
- 400 calories
- 20 grams of easy-to-digest, non-GMO, plant-based protein
- Complex carbs from natural sources like brown rice, quinoa, and tapioca
Combined with a special blend of quality fats, such as heart-healthy high-oleic sunflower oil, ENU nutritional shakes deliver long-lasting energy – all without using artificial sweeteners. We also avoid using algae, carrageenan, sucrose, or corn syrup in our recipes. That makes our protein shakes gentle on the stomach and easy to digest.
Of course, a healthy shake has to taste good, too! Say goodbye to chalky-tasting protein boosters and say hello to flavor, with two delicious varieties available in chocolate and vanilla. Simply pour and serve straight from the carton, ready to fit your busy lifestyle.
Save money with a 5% discount when you choose an auto-ship option at checkout. Then, enjoy delicious nutrition delivered right to your door. Contact us online to order your first shipment of ENU protein shakes today.